1. Rehm J (2011) The risks associated with alcohol use and alcoholism. Alcohol Res Health J Natl Inst Alcohol Abuse Alcohol 34, 135–43.
2. Simon AK, Hollander GA, McMichael A (2015) Evolution of the immune system in humans from infancy to old age. Proc Biol Sci 282, 20143085.
3. Montecino-Rodriguez E, Berent-Maoz B, Dorshkind K (2013) Causes, consequences, and reversal of immune system aging. J Clin Invest 123, 958–65.
4. Pereira BI, Akbar AN (2016) Convergence of Innate and Adaptive Immunity during Human Aging. Front Immunol 7. doi:10.3389/fimmu.2016.00445.
5. Testino G (2020) Are Patients With Alcohol Use Disorders at Increased Risk for Covid-19 Infection? Alcohol Alcohol 55, 344–6.
6. Maucourant C, Filipovic I, Ponzetta A, Aleman S, Cornillet M, Hertwig L, Strunz B, Lentini A, et al (2020) Natural killer cell immunotypes related to COVID-19 disease severity. Sci Immunol 5, eabd6832.
7. Merad M, Martin JC (2020) Pathological inflammation in patients with COVID-19: a key role for monocytes and macrophages. Nat Rev Immunol 20, 355–62.
8. Afshar M, Richards S, Mann D, Cross A, Smith GB, Netzer G, Kovacs E, Hasday J (2015) Acute immunomodulatory effects of binge alcohol ingestion. Alcohol Fayettev N 49, 57–64.
9. Sarkar D, Jung MK, Wang HJ (2015) Alcohol and the immune system. Alcohol Res Curr Rev 37, 153.
10. Szabo G, Saha B (2015) Alcohol’s Effect on Host Defense. Alcohol Res Curr Rev 37, 159–70.
11. Pasala S, Barr T, Messaoudi I (2015) Impact of Alcohol Abuse on the Adaptive Immune System. Alcohol Res Curr Rev 37, 185–97.
12. Golchin A, Seyedjafari E, Ardeshirylajimi A (2020) Mesenchymal Stem Cell Therapy for COVID-19: Present or Future. Stem Cell Rev Rep 16, 427–33.
13. Ojo AS, Balogun SA, Williams OT, Ojo OS (2020) Pulmonary Fibrosis in COVID-19 Survivors: Predictive Factors and Risk Reduction Strategies. Pulm Med 2020, 1–10.
14. Albillos A, de Gottardi A, Rescigno M (2020) The gut-liver axis in liver disease: Pathophysiological basis for therapy. J Hepatol 72, 558–77.
15. Bishehsari F, Magno E, Swanson G, Desai V, Voigt RM, Forsyth CB, Keshavarzian A (2017) Alcohol and Gut-Derived Inflammation. Alcohol Res Curr Rev 38, 163–71.
16. Sharma A, Kroumpouzos G, Lotti T, Goldust M (2020) COVID-19 and alcohol use. Drug Alcohol Rev, dar.13163.
17. Rezasoltani S, Hatami B, Yadegar A, Asadzadeh Aghdaei H, Zali MR (2020) How Patients With Chronic Liver Diseases Succeed to Deal With COVID-19? Front Med 7, 398.
18. Shao T, Tong Y, Lu S, Jeyarajan AJ, Su F, Dai J, Shi J, Huang J, et al (2020) γ-Glutamyltransferase Elevations Are Frequent in Patients With COVID-19: A Clinical Epidemiologic Study. Hepatol Commun, hep4.1576.
19. Boettler T, Marjot T, Newsome PN, Mondelli MU, Maticic M, Cordero E, Jalan R, Moreau R, et al (2020) Impact of COVID-19 on the care of patients with liver disease: EASL-ESCMID position paper after 6 months of the pandemic. JHEP Rep Innov Hepatol 2, 100169.
20. Shalimar null, Elhence A, Vaishnav M, Kumar R, Pathak P, Soni KD, Aggarwal R, Soneja M, et al (2020) Poor outcomes in patients with cirrhosis and Corona Virus Disease-19. Indian J Gastroenterol Off J Indian Soc Gastroenterol. doi:10.1007/s12664-020-01074-3.
21. Huang R, Zhu L, Wang J, Xue L, Liu L, Yan X, Huang S, Li Y, et al (2020) Clinical Features of Patients With COVID-19 With Nonalcoholic Fatty Liver Disease. Hepatol Commun, hep4.1592.
22. Bramante C, Tignanelli CJ, Dutta N, Jones E, Tamariz L, Clark JM, Usher M, Metlon-Meaux G, Ikramuddin S (2020) Non-alcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD) and risk of hospitalization for Covid-19. MedRxiv Prepr Serv Health Sci. doi:10.1101/2020.09.01.20185850.
23. Falasca L, Nardacci R, Colombo D, Lalle E, Di Caro A, Nicastri E, Antinori A, Petrosillo N, et al (2020) Post-Mortem Findings in Italian Patients with COVID-19 – A Descriptive Full Autopsy Study of cases with and without co-morbidities. J Infect Dis. doi:10.1093/infdis/jiaa578.
24. Shafi AMA, Shaikh SA, Shirke MM, Iddawela S, Harky A (2020) Cardiac manifestations in COVID-19 patients – A systematic review. J Card Surg 35, 1988–2008.
25. Wei Y, Shah R (2020) Substance Use Disorder in the COVID-19 Pandemic: A Systematic Review of Vulnerabilities and Complications. Pharm Basel Switz 13. doi:10.3390/ph13070155.
26. Statistik över antal avlidna i covid-19 Socialstyrelsen. Available at: https://www.socialstyrelsen.se/statistik-och-data/statistik/statistik-om-covid-19/statistik-over-antal-avlidna-i-covid-19/ [Accessed October 6, 2020].
27. COVID-19 Provisional Counts – Weekly Updates by Select Demographic and Geographic Characteristics (2020) Available at: https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covid_weekly/index.htm [Accessed October 6, 2020].
28. Kang S-J, Jung SI (2020) Age-Related Morbidity and Mortality among Patients with COVID-19. Infect Chemother 52, 154.
29. Velayudhan L, Aarsland D, Ballard C (2020) Mental health of people living with dementia in care homes during COVID-19 pandemic. Int Psychogeriatr, 1–2.
30. Schwarzinger M, Pollock BG, Hasan OSM, Dufouil C, Rehm J, QalyDays Study Group (2018) Contribution of alcohol use disorders to the burden of dementia in France 2008-13: a nationwide retrospective cohort study. Lancet Public Health 3, e124–32.
31. Immonen S, Launes J, Järvinen I, Virta M, Vanninen R, Schiavone N, Lehto E, Tuulio-Henriksson A, et al (2020) Moderate alcohol use is associated with decreased brain volume in early middle age in both sexes. Sci Rep 10, 13998.
32. Troyer EA, Kohn JN, Hong S (2020) Are we facing a crashing wave of neuropsychiatric sequelae of COVID-19? Neuropsychiatric symptoms and potential immunologic mechanisms. Brain Behav Immun 87, 34–9.
33. Rogers JP, Chesney E, Oliver D, Pollak TA, McGuire P, Fusar-Poli P, Zandi MS, Lewis G, David AS (2020) Psychiatric and neuropsychiatric presentations associated with severe coronavirus infections: a systematic review and meta-analysis with comparison to the COVID-19 pandemic. Lancet Psychiatry 7, 611–27.
34. Helms J, Kremer S, Merdji H, Clere-Jehl R, Schenck M, Kummerlen C, Collange O, Boulay C, et al (2020) Neurologic Features in Severe SARS-CoV-2 Infection. N Engl J Med 382, 2268–70.
35. Sommer IE, Bakker PR (2020) What can psychiatrists learn from SARS and MERS outbreaks? Lancet Psychiatry 7, 565–6.
36. Coronavirus and depression in adults, Great Britain – Office for National Statistics Available at: https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/wellbeing/articles/coronavirusanddepressioninadultsgreatbritain/june2020 [Accessed October 6, 2020].
37. Smalley CM, Malone DA, Meldon SW, Borden BL, Simon EL, Muir MR, Fertel BS (2020) The impact of COVID-19 on suicidal ideation and alcohol presentations to emergency departments in a large healthcare system. Am J Emerg Med. doi:10.1016/j.ajem.2020.05.093.
38. Zhou Y, Yang Q, Chi J, Dong B, Lv W, Shen L, Wang Y (2020) Comorbidities and the risk of severe or fatal outcomes associated with coronavirus disease 2019: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Int J Infect Dis IJID Off Publ Int Soc Infect Dis. doi:10.1016/j.ijid.2020.07.029.
39. Hamer M, Kivimäki M, Gale CR, Batty GD (2020) Lifestyle Risk Factors for Cardiovascular Disease in Relation to COVID-19 Hospitalization: A Community-Based Cohort Study of 387,109 Adults in UK. MedRxiv Prepr Serv Health Sci. doi:10.1101/2020.05.09.20096438.
40. Dubey MJ, Ghosh R, Chatterjee S, Biswas P, Chatterjee S, Dubey S (2020) COVID-19 and addiction. Diabetes Metab Syndr 14, 817–23.
41. Gu T, Mack JA, Salvatore M, Sankar SP, Valley TS, Singh K, Nallamothu BK, Kheterpal S, et al (2020) COVID-19 outcomes, risk factors and associations by race: a comprehensive analysis using electronic health records data in Michigan Medicine. MedRxiv Prepr Serv Health Sci. doi:10.1101/2020.06.16.20133140.
42. Haimovich AD, Warner F, Young HP, Ravindra NG, Sehanobish A, Gong G, Wilson FP, Dijk D, et al (2020) Patient factors associated with SARS-CoV-2 in an admitted emergency department population. J Am Coll Emerg Physicians Open 1, 569–77.
43. Simet SM, Sisson JH (2015) Alcohol’s Effects on Lung Health and Immunity. Alcohol Res Curr Rev 37, 199–208.
44. Scalsky RJ, Desai K, Chen Y-J, O’Connell JR, Perry JA, Hong CC (2020) Baseline Cardiometabolic Profiles and SARS-CoV-2 Risk in the UK Biobank. MedRxiv Prepr Serv Health Sci. doi:10.1101/2020.07.25.20161091.
45. Chikritzhs T, Stockwell T, Naimi T, Andreasson S, Dangardt F, Liang W (2015) Has the leaning tower of presumed health benefits from ‘moderate’ alcohol use finally collapsed? Addict Abingdon Engl 110, 726–7.
46. Field M, Wiers RW, Christiansen P, Fillmore MT, Verster JC (2010) Acute alcohol effects on inhibitory control and implicit cognition: implications for loss of control over drinking. Alcohol Clin Exp Res 34, 1346–52.
47. Giancola PR, Josephs RA, Parrott DJ, Duke AA (2010) Alcohol Myopia Revisited: Clarifying Aggression and Other Acts of Disinhibition Through a Distorted Lens. Perspect Psychol Sci 5, 265–78.
48. Tyszka T, Macko A, Stańczak M (2015) Alcohol reduces aversion to ambiguity. Front Psychol 5. doi:10.3389/fpsyg.2014.01578.
49. Fromme K, Katz E, D’Amico E (1997) Effects of alcohol intoxication on the perceived consequences of risk taking. Exp Clin Psychopharmacol 5, 14–23.
50. De Blasiis MR, Ferrante C, Veraldi V (2020) Driving Risk Assessment Under the Effect of Alcohol Through an Eye Tracking System in Virtual Reality. In: Arezes PM (ed) Advances in Safety Management and Human Factors, Advances in Intelligent Systems and Computing, vol 969, Springer International Publishing, Cham, pp 329–41.
51. Fillmore MT, Blackburn JS, Harrison ELR (2008) Acute disinhibiting effects of alcohol as a factor in risky driving behavior. Drug Alcohol Depend 95, 97–106.
52. Lane SD, Cherek DR, Pietras CJ, Tcheremissine OV (2004) Alcohol effects on human risk taking. Psychopharmacology (Berl) 172, 68–77.
53. Morawska L, Tang JW, Bahnfleth W, Bluyssen PM, Boerstra A, Buonanno G, Cao J, Dancer S, et al (2020) How can airborne transmission of COVID-19 indoors be minimised? Environ Int 142, 105832.
54. Williamson E, Hussey K (2020) Party Zero: How a Soirée in Connecticut Became a ‘Super Spreader’. N Y Times. Available at: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/23/us/coronavirus-westport-connecticut-party-zero.html [Accessed October 6, 2020].
55. Zimmer C (2020) One Meeting in Boston Seeded Tens of Thousands of Infections, Study Finds. N Y Times. Available at: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/26/health/covid-19-superspreaders-boston.html [Accessed October 6, 2020].
56. Nevada tightens restrictions again as COVID hospitalizations ‘spike’ Available at: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/nevada-coronavirus-restrictions-bars-restaurants-again-as-covid-hospitalizations-spike/ [Accessed October 6, 2020].
57. White T, Nikas S, Doyle D (2020) Europe Clamps Down on Night Life to Regain Grip on Pandemic. Bloomberg.com. Available at: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-08-16/spain-to-shut-famed-nightclubs-after-links-to-covid-outbreaks [Accessed September 11, 2020].
58. How Bars Are Fueling COVID-19 Outbreaks Ga Public Broadcast. Available at: https://www.gpb.org/news/shots-health-news/2020/08/18/how-bars-are-fueling-covid-19-outbreaks [Accessed October 6, 2020].
59. Courtemanche C, Garuccio J, Le A, Pinkston J, Yelowitz A (2020) Strong Social Distancing Measures In The United States Reduced The COVID-19 Growth Rate: Study evaluates the impact of social distancing measures on the growth rate of confirmed COVID-19 cases across the United States. Health Aff (Millwood) 39, 1237–46.
60. Mallet J, Dubertret C, Le Strat Y (2020) Addictions in the COVID-19 era: Current evidence, future perspectives a comprehensive review. Prog Neuropsychopharmacol Biol Psychiatry, 110070.
61. Babor T, Caetano R, Casswell S, Edwards G, Giesbrecht N, Graham K, Grube J, Hill L, et al (2010) Alcohol: no ordinary commodity. Oxford University Press, Oxford.
62. Wagenaar AC, Salois MJ, Komro KA (2009) Effects of beverage alcohol price and tax levels on drinking: a meta-analysis of 1003 estimates from 112 studies. Addiction 104, 179–90.
63. Sherk A, Stockwell T, Chikritzhs T, Andréasson S, Angus C, Gripenberg J, Holder H, Holmes J, et al (2018) Alcohol Consumption and the Physical Availability of Take-Away Alcohol: Systematic Reviews and Meta-Analyses of the Days and Hours of Sale and Outlet Density. J Stud Alcohol Drugs 79, 58–67.
64. Lima F, Sims S, O’Donnell M (2020) Harmful drinking is associated with mental health conditions and other risk behaviours in Australian young people. Aust N Z J Public Health 44, 201–7.
65. de Goeij MCM, Suhrcke M, Toffolutti V, van de Mheen D, Schoenmakers TM, Kunst AE (2015) How economic crises affect alcohol consumption and alcohol-related health problems: A realist systematic review. Soc Sci Med 131, 131–46.
66. Rehm J, Kilian C, Ferreira-Borges C, Jernigan D, Monteiro M, Parry CDH, Sanchez ZM, Manthey J (2020) Alcohol use in times of the COVID 19: Implications for monitoring and policy. Drug Alcohol Rev 39, 301–4.
67. Manthey J, Shield KD, Rylett M, Hasan OSM, Probst C, Rehm J (2019) Global alcohol exposure between 1990 and 2017 and forecasts until 2030: a modelling study. The Lancet 393, 2493–502.
68. World Health Organization, World Health Organization, World Health Organization, Management of Substance Abuse Team (2018) Global Status Report on Alcohol and Health 2018.
69. Laslett A-M, Alcohol Education and Rehabilitation Foundation, Turning Point Alcohol and Drug Centre (Vic) (2010) The Range and Magnitude of Alcohol’s Harm to Others: Beyond the Drinker : Alcohol’s Hidden Costs, AER Foundation, Fitzroy, Vic.
70. Canadian Centre on Substance Use and Addiction (2020) Boredom and Stress Drives Increased Alcohol Consumption during COVID-19: NANOS Poll Summary Report | Canadian Centre on Substance Use and Addiction. Available at: https://www.ccsa.ca/boredom-and-stress-drives-increased-alcohol-consumption-during-covid-19-nanos-poll-summary-report [Accessed October 8, 2020].
71. Knell G, Robertson MC, Dooley EE, Burford K, Mendez KS (2020) Health Behavior Changes During COVID-19 Pandemic and Subsequent “Stay-at-Home” Orders. Int J Environ Res Public Health 17, 6268.
72. Koopmann A, Georgiadou E, Kiefer F, Hillemacher T (2020) Did the General Population in Germany Drink More Alcohol during the COVID-19 Pandemic Lockdown? Alcohol Alcohol, agaa058.
73. Avon Longitudinal Study of Parents and Children (2020) Children of the 90s: COVID-19 Second Questionnaire Report, University of Bristol Available at: http://www.bristol.ac.uk/media-library/sites/alspac/documents/covid-19/CO90s_COVID_Q2_report_final.pdf [Accessed October 8, 2020].
74. Winstock AR, Zhuparris A, Gilchrist G, Davies EL, Puljević C, Potts L, Maier LJ, Ferris JA, Barratt MJ (2020) GDS Special Edition on Covid-19 Global Executive Summary, The Global Drug Survey Available at: http://www.globaldrugsurvey.com/downloads/GDS-CV19-exec-summary.pdf [Accessed October 8, 2020].
75. Pišot S, Milovanović I, Šimunič B, Gentile A, Bosnar K, Prot F, Bianco A, Lo Coco G, et al (2020) Maintaining everyday life praxis in the time of COVID-19 pandemic measures (ELP-COVID-19 survey). Eur J Public Health. doi:10.1093/eurpub/ckaa157.
76. Vinmonopolets salgstall | Vinmonopolet Available at: https://www.vinmonopolet.no/salgstall [Accessed October 8, 2020].
77. Biddle N, Edwards B, Gray M, Sollis K (2020) Alcohol Consumption during the COVID-19 Period: May 2020, ANU Centre for Social Research and Methods. Available at: https://csrm.cass.anu.edu.au/sites/default/files/docs/2020/6/Alcohol_consumption_during_the_COVID-19_period.pdf [Accessed October 8, 2020].
78. Scots report changing drinking patterns during coronavirus lockdown. Available at: https://www.alcohol-focus-scotland.org.uk/news/scots-report-changing-drinking-patterns-during-coronavirus-lockdown/ [Accessed October 8, 2020].
79. Insight: The coronavirus hangover and Scotland’s alcohol timebomb. Available at: https://www.scotsman.com/health/insight-coronavirus-hangover-and-scotlands-alcohol-timebomb-2984728 [Accessed October 8, 2020].
80. Drinking Alcohol When Working from Home Alcohol.org. Available at: https://www.alcohol.org/guides/work-from-home-drinking/ [Accessed October 8, 2020].
81. AB InBev AB InBev Unaudited Interim Reportfor the Six-Month Period Ended 30 June 2020, Anheuser-Busch InBev. Available at: https://www.ab-inbev.com/content/dam/universaltemplate/ab-inbev/investors/reports-and-filings/annual-and-hy-reports/2020/2%204%20European%20Financials%20v17%20(FINAL).pdf [Accessed August 5, 2020].
82. Diageo (2020) Diageo Preliminary Results, Year Ended 30 June 2020 Available at: https://www.diageo.com/PR1346/aws/media/11266/diageo-preliminary-results-f20-press-release.pdf [Accessed August 5, 2020].
83. Systembolaget Systembolagets Försäljning per Varugrupp, Kvartal 2, 2020. Available at: https://www.omsystembolaget.se/img/publishedmedia/g6mczx0sh3m604mhsmem/2020Q2_Varugrupp.pdf [Accessed August 6, 2020].
84. Ingen ökad alkoholkonsumtion i Sverige under coronapandemin (2020). CAN. Available at: https://www.can.se/pressmeddelande/ingen-okad-alkoholkonsumtion-i-sverige-under-coronapandemin/ [Accessed October 8, 2020].
85. Nordic Welfare Centre (2020) The Effects of the Corona Pandemic on Alcohol Consumption, Smoking and Drug Treatment Services. Available at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e09UnF22j00 [Accessed October 8, 2020].
86. Grocery sales surge in lockdown as shoppers go online (2020) CityAM. Available at: https://www.cityam.com/grocery-sales-surge-in-lockdown-as-shoppers-go-online/ [Accessed October 8, 2020].
87. Hobin E, Smith B (2020) Is another public health crisis brewing beneath the COVID-19 pandemic? Can J Public Health 111, 392–6.
88. Colbert S, Wilkinson C, Thornton L, Richmond R (2020) COVID-19 and alcohol in Australia: Industry changes and public health impacts. Drug Alcohol Rev 39, 435–40.
89. Boyd B Alcohol use increases as pandemic and unrest continue. Oxf Obs. Available at: https://oxfordobserver.org/742/business/alcohol-use-increases-as-pandemic-and-unrest-continue/ [Accessed October 8, 2020].
90. Allvarlig kritik mot alkohol-catering (2020) Accent. Available at: https://accentmagasin.se/alkohol/allvarlig-kritik-mot-alkohol-catering/ [Accessed October 8, 2020].
91. Andréasson S, Chikritzhs T, Dangart F, Holder H, Naimi T, Stockwell T (2017) Alcohol and violence: a survey of Swedish and International Research, IOGT-NTO, the Swedish Society of Medicine & CERA.
92. Mahase E (2020) Covid-19: EU states report 60% rise in emergency calls about domestic violence. BMJ 369, m1872.
93. Bullinger LR, Carr JB, Packham A (2020) COVID-19 and Crime: Effects of Stay-at-Home Orders on Domestic Violence, National Bureau of Economic Research doi:10.3386/w27667.
94. Campbell AM (2020) An increasing risk of family violence during the Covid-19 pandemic: Strengthening community collaborations to save lives. Forensic Sci Int Rep 2, 100089.
95. Moreira DN, Pinto da Costa M (2020) The impact of the Covid-19 pandemic in the precipitation of intimate partner violence. Int J Law Psychiatry 71, 101606.
96. Sidpra J, Abomeli D, Hameed B, Baker J, Mankad K (2020) Rise in the incidence of abusive head trauma during the COVID-19 pandemic. Arch Dis Child, archdischild-2020-319872.
97. Thomas EY, Anurudran A, Robb K, Burke TF (2020) Spotlight on child abuse and neglect response in the time of COVID-19. Lancet Public Health 5, e371.
98. Bhopal S, Buckland A, McCrone R, Villis AI, Owens S (2020) Who has been missed? Dramatic decrease in numbers of children seen for child protection assessments during the pandemic. Arch Dis Child, archdischild-2020-319783.
99. Silva AF da, Estrela FM, Soares CFS e, Magalhães JRF de, Lima NS, Morais AC, Gomes NP, Lima VL de A (2020) Marital violence precipitating/intensifying elements during the Covid-19 pandemic. Ciênc Saúde Coletiva 25, 3475–80.
100. Luppi F, Arpino B, Rosina A (2020) The Impact of COVID-19 on Fertility Plans in Italy, Germany, France, Spain and UK, SocArXiv doi:10.31235/osf.io/wr9jb.
101. Lindberg LD, VandeVusse A, Mueller J, Kirstein M (2020) Early Impacts of the COVID-19 Pandemic: Findings from the 2020 Guttmacher Survey of Reproductive Health Experiences, Guttmacher Institute doi:10.1363/2020.31482.
102. Li G, Tang D, Song B, Wang C, Qunshan S, Xu C, Geng H, Wu H, et al (2020) Impact of the COVID-19 Pandemic on Partner Relationships and Sexual and Reproductive Health: Cross-Sectional, Online Survey Study. J Med Internet Res 22, e20961.
103. Sher J (2020) Fetal alcohol spectrum disorders: preventing collateral damage from COVID-19. Lancet Public Health 5, e424.
104. Kar P, Tomfohr-Madsen L, Giesbrecht G, Bagshawe M, Lebel C (2020) Alcohol and Substance Use in Pregnancy during the COVID-19 Pandemic, PsyArXiv doi:10.31234/osf.io/h3csa.
105. Popova S, Lange S, Probst C, Gmel G, Rehm J (2017) Estimation of national, regional, and global prevalence of alcohol use during pregnancy and fetal alcohol syndrome: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Lancet Glob Health 5, e290–9.
106. Garg R (2020) Spectrum of Neurological Manifestations in Covid-19: A Review. Neurol India 68, 560.
107. Car Crashes Became Deadlier During Lockdowns Across Globe: Reuters Insight (2020) Insur J. Available at: https://www.insurancejournal.com/news/international/2020/06/30/573871.htm [Accessed October 8, 2020].
108. Sutherland M, McKenney M, Elkbuli A (2020) Vehicle related injury patterns during the COVID-19 pandemic: What has changed? Am J Emerg Med 38, 1710–4.
109. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (2020) Early Estimate of Motor Vehicle Traffic Fatalities for the First Quarter of 2020. Available at: https://crashstats.nhtsa.dot.gov/Api/Public/ViewPublication/812966 [Accessed October 8, 2020].
110. Coronasmittan stoppar alkoholkontroller (2020) Drugnews. Available at: https://drugnews.nu/2020/03/11/coronasmittan-stoppar-alkoholkontroller/ [Accessed October 8, 2020].
111. Agren D (2020) Mexico: adulterated alcohol deaths rise to over 100 amid ban on official sales. The Guardian. Available at: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/may/15/mexico-adulterated-alcohol-deaths-over-100-coronavirus [Accessed October 8, 2020].
112. India toxic alcohol: Dozens die in Punjab poisoning (2020) BBC News. Available at: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-53624507 [Accessed October 8, 2020].
113. Sherk A, Stockwell T, Rehm J, Dorocicz J, Shield KD, Churchill S (2020) The International Model of Alcohol Harms and Policies: A New Method for Estimating Alcohol Health Harms With Application to Alcohol-Attributable Mortality in Canada. J Stud Alcohol Drugs 81, 339–51.
114. Ye Y, Shield K, Cherpitel CJ, Manthey J, Korcha R, Rehm J (2019) Estimating alcohol-attributable fractions for injuries based on data from emergency department and observational studies: a comparison of two methods: Estimating alcohol-attributable injuries. Addiction 114, 462–70.
115. White AM, Slater ME, Ng G, Hingson R, Breslow R (2018) Trends in Alcohol-Related Emergency Department Visits in the United States: Results from the Nationwide Emergency Department Sample, 2006 to 2014. Alcohol Clin Exp Res 42, 352–9.
116. Canadian Substance Use Costs and Harms Project Team (2020) Canadian Substance Use Costs and Harms (2015–2017). Available at: https://www.ccsa.ca/canadian-substance-use-costs-and-harms-2015-2017-report [Accessed July 9, 2020].
117. Stockwell T, Sherk A, Norström T, Angus C, Ramstedt M, Andréasson S, Chikritzhs T, Gripenberg J, et al (2018) Estimating the public health impact of disbanding a government alcohol monopoly: application of new methods to the case of Sweden. BMC Public Health 18, 1400.
118. Stockwell T, Sherk A, Sorge J, Norström T, Angus C, Chikritzhs T, Churchill S, Holmes J, et al (2019) Finnish Alcohol Policy at the Crossroads: The Health, Safety and Economic Consequences of Alternative Systems to Manage the Retail Sale of Alcohol., Canadian Institute for Substance Use Research, University of Victoria, Victoria, BC, Canada. Available at: https://www.uvic.ca/research/centres/cisur/about/news/current/new-report-finnish-alcohol-policy-at-the-crossroads.php [Accessed October 8, 2020].
119. Medina-Mora ME, Cordero-Oropeza M, Rafful C, Real T, Villatoro-Velazquez JA (2020) COVID-19 and alcohol in Mexico: A serious health crisis, strong actions on alcohol in response – Commentary on Stockwell et al. Drug Alcohol Rev, dar.13177.
120. Parry CDH (2020) A timely piece that resonates with the South African experience: Commentary on Stockwell et al. Drug Alcohol Rev, dar.13159.
121. CBC News (2020) N.W.T. government will not close liquor stores, despite pushback from community leaders | CBC News. CBC. Available at: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north/liquor-sales-covid19-nwt-government-statement-1.5527649 [Accessed October 9, 2020].
122. Seglins D, Ivany K (2020) Do alcohol and COVID-19 isolation mix? Some health experts don’t think so | CBC News. CBC. Available at: https://www.cbc.ca/news/health/covid-19-alcohol-sales-physical-distancing-1.5520433 [Accessed October 9, 2020].
123. Opp SM, Mosier SL (2020) Liquor, marijuana, and guns: essential services or political tools during the Covid-19 pandemic? Policy Des Pract, 1–15.
124. Stockwell T, Andreasson S, Cherpitel C, Chikritzhs T, Dangardt F, Holder H, Naimi T, Sherk A (2020) The burden of alcohol on health care during COVID-19. Drug Alcohol Rev, dar.13143.
125. Narasimha VL, Shukla L, Mukherjee D, Menon J, Huddar S, Panda UK, Mahadevan J, Kandasamy A, et al (2020) Complicated Alcohol Withdrawal – An Unintended Consequence of COVID-19 Lockdown. Alcohol Alcohol Oxf Oxfs 55, 350–3.
126. Rossow I (2002) The strike hits: the 1982 wine and liquor monopoly strike in Norway and its impact on various harm indicators. In: The Effects of Nordic Alcohol Policies: What Happens to Drinking and Harm When Alcohol Controls Change?, Nordic Council for Alcohol and Drug Research, Nordic Council for Alcohol and Drug Research, Helsinki, pp 133–44.
127. Matzopoulos R, Walls H, Cook S, London L (2020) South Africa’s COVID-19 Alcohol Sales Ban: The Potential for Better Policy-Making. Int J Health Policy Manag, 1.
128. Salluh JIF, Wang H, Schneider EB, Nagaraja N, Yenokyan G, Damluji A, Serafim RB, Stevens RD (2015) Outcome of delirium in critically ill patients: systematic review and meta-analysis. BMJ 350, h2538–h2538.
129. Ahmed S, Khaium MO, Tazmeem F (2020) COVID-19 lockdown in India triggers a rapid rise in suicides due to the alcohol withdrawal symptoms: Evidence from media reports. Int J Soc Psychiatry, 20764020938809.
130. Varma RP (2020) Alcohol withdrawal management during the Covid-19 lockdown in Kerala. Indian J Med Ethics V, 105–6.
131. Wicki M, Gmel G (2011) Hospital admission rates for alcoholic intoxication after policy changes in the canton of Geneva, Switzerland. Drug Alcohol Depend 118, 209–15.
132. Nadkarni A, Kapoor A, Pathare S (2020) COVID-19 and forced alcohol abstinence in India: The dilemmas around ethics and rights. Int J Law Psychiatry 71, 101579.
133. Lange S, Probst C, Rehm J (2020) Coronavirus disease 2019 crisis and intentional injuries: now is not the time to erode alcohol control policies. Can J Public Health. doi:10.17269/s41997-020-00391-6.
134. CNN Philippines Staff (2020) Manila to lift liquor ban on Monday. cnn. Available at: https://www.cnnphilippines.com/news/2020/6/6/manila-liquor-ban-lifted.html [Accessed October 9, 2020].
135. France-Presse A (2020) Alcohol sales banned in Greenland capital during lockdown. The Guardian. Available at: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/29/alcohol-sales-banned-in-greenland-capital-during-lockdown [Accessed October 9, 2020].
136. Sumaira F Georgia Bans Alcohol Sales During Coronavirus Lockdown. UrduPoint. Available at: https://www.urdupoint.com/en/world/georgia-bans-alcohol-sales-during-coronavirus-879669.html [Accessed October 9, 2020].
137. Alcohol Policy Information System (APIS) (2020) State Alcohol-Related Laws During the COVID-19 Emergency for On-Premise and Off-Premise Establishments as of August 15, 2020, National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism.
138. Warnica R (2020) Ontario urges bars, restaurants to close amid COVID-19 pandemic, hours after telling public they could stay open. Natl Post. Available at: https://nationalpost.com/news/ontario-government-moves-to-protect-workers-affected-by-covid-19 [Accessed September 11, 2020].
139. ABC News (2020) Cafes, restaurants and pub dining to resume in Victoria from June. Available at: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-05-17/victoria-coronavirus-cafes-restaurants-pub-dining-to-reopen/12256306 [Accessed September 11, 2020].
140. NordAN (2020) Alcohol restrictions amid COVID-19 virus outbreak | Nordan. Available at: https://nordan.org/alcohol-restrictions-amid-covid-19-virus-outbreak/ [Accessed September 8, 2020].
141. Braillon A (2020) Alcohol control and the COVID-19 crisis on the other side of the Atlantic. Can J Public Health. doi:10.17269/s41997-020-00401-7.
142. Ntakuka W (2020) The Alcohol Policy Situation in East Africa During COVID-19. Movendi Int. Available at: https://movendi.ngo/blog/2020/06/29/alcohol-policy-situation-in-east-africa-during-covid-19/ [Accessed September 7, 2020].
143. Neufeld M, Lachenmeier DW, Ferreira-Borges C, Rehm J (2020) Is Alcohol an “Essential Good” During COVID-19? Yes, but Only as a Disinfectant! Alcohol Clin Exp Res 44, 1906–9.
144. Shield K, Manthey J, Rylett M, Probst C, Wettlaufer A, Parry CDH, Rehm J (2020) National, regional, and global burdens of disease from 2000 to 2016 attributable to alcohol use: a comparative risk assessment study. Lancet Public Health 5, e51–61.
145. Institute of Alcohol Studies What is the economic contribution of the alcohol industry? Available at: http://www.ias.org.uk/Alcohol-knowledge-centre/The-alcohol-industry/Factsheets/What-is-the-economic-contribution-of-the-alcohol-industry.aspx [Accessed October 9, 2020].
146. Reynolds J, Wilkinson C (2020) Accessibility of ‘essential’ alcohol in the time of COVID-19: Casting light on the blind spots of licensing? Drug Alcohol Rev 39, 305–8.
147. Bakke Ø, Endal D (2010) Vested Interests in Addiction Research and Policy
Alcohol policies out of context: drinks industry supplanting government role in alcohol policies in sub-Saharan Africa: Alcohol policies out of context. Addiction 105, 22–8.
148. Miller D, Harkins C, Schlögl M, Montague B (2018) Impact of Market Forces on Addictive Substances and Behaviours: The Web of Influence of the Addictive Industries, First Edition, Oxford University Press, New York, NY.
149. Bond L, Daube M, Chikritzhs T (2010) Selling addictions: Similarities in approaches between Big Tobacco and Big Booze. Australas Med J 3, 325–32.
150. Dür A, De Bièvre D (2007) The Question of Interest Group Influence. J Public Policy 27, 1–12.
151. Swanson C, Wingerter J (2020) How lobbyists and panicked Denverites kept liquor stores and marijuana dispensaries open during coronavirus. Denver Post. Available at: https://www.denverpost.com/2020/04/13/denver-liquor-marijuana-essential-businesses-coronavirus/ [Accessed September 16, 2020].
152. Claughton D (2020) Can bottle shops remain open amid moves to limit the spread of COVID-19? Available at: https://www.abc.net.au/news/rural/2020-03-26/can-bottle-shops-remain-open-while-stopping-coronavirus-spread/12093004 [Accessed September 11, 2020].
153. spiritsEUROPE (2020) spiritsEUROPE launches fit for recovery plan. Spirit Press Releases. Available at: https://spirits.eu/media/press-releases/spiritseurope-launches-fit-for-recovery-plan [Accessed October 11, 2020].
154. spiritsEUROPE (2020) Covid 19: 10-Point Action Plan. Available at: https://spirits.eu/upload/files/publications/GEN.DOC-013b-2020%20COVID%2010%20Point%20ACTION%20PLAN_FINAL.pdf [Accessed September 17, 2020].
155. The Brewers of Europe (2020) COVID19: Letter to EU, ECB & Finance Ministers on support to hospitality sector and supply chain. Brew Eur Media Cent. Available at: http://www.brewersofeurope.eu/site/media-centre/post.php?doc_id=988 [Accessed September 17, 2020].
156. The European Parliament Beer Club (2020) Urgent support of the hospitality sector needed, calls cross-party group of MEPs in letter to the Executive Vice-President of the European Commission. Available at: https://www.epbeerclub.eu/urgent-support-of-the-hospitality-sector-needed/ [Accessed September 13, 2020].
157. UK Spirits Alliance reacts to the Chancellor’s update (2020) UK Spirits Alliance. Available at: https://spiritsuk.co.uk/uk-spirits-alliance-reacts-to-the-chancellors-update/ [Accessed October 11, 2020].
158. Listen: Alcohol Industry Wants 6 Months Cut On Drink VAT Rate (2020) Kfm Radio. Available at: https://kfmradio.com/news/10072020-0914/listen-alcohol-industry-wants-6-months-cut-drink-vat-rate [Accessed October 11, 2020].
159. spiritsEUROPE (2020) New global survey shows drinking down in lockdown. Spirit – PRESS RELEASES. Available at: https://spirits.eu/media/press-releases/new-global-survey-shows-drinking-down-in-lockdown [Accessed September 16, 2020].
160. DrinkWise Australia (2020) The importance of moderation during COVID-19. Drink Aust. Available at: https://drinkwise.org.au/drinking-and-you/the-importance-of-moderation-during-covid-19/ [Accessed September 26, 2020].
161. Mokgobu A (2020) Beer Association calls for moderate, responsible drinking. Jacar FM. Available at: https://www.jacarandafm.com/news/news/beer-association-calls-moderate-responsible-drinking/ [Accessed September 26, 2020].
162. Wine in Moderation (2020) Events – Wine in Moderation spreads positive messages during quarantine. Wine Moderat. Available at: https://www.wineinmoderation.eu/sv/events/Wine-in-Moderation-spreads-positive-messages-during-quarantine.2041/ [Accessed October 12, 2020].
163. Heineken (2020) Back to the Bars, latest edition of #SocialiseResponsibly. Back Bars Latest Ed Social. Available at: https://www.theheinekencompany.com/newsroom/back-to-the-bars-latest-edition-of-heineken-socialiseresponsibly/ [Accessed October 12, 2020].
164. Portman Group (2020) Portman Group research shows Brits continue to moderate their drinking under lockdown. Available at: https://www.portmangroup.org.uk/portman-group-research-shows-brits-continue-to-moderate-their-drinking-under-lockdown/ [Accessed October 12, 2020].
165. International Alliance for Responsible Drinking, IARD (2020) Almost one in three drinkers consuming less alcohol under COVID-19 shutdowns, Global survey finds. Available at: https://iard.org/press/ALMOST-ONE-IN-THREE-DRINKERS-CONSUMING-LESS-ALCOHO [Accessed August 16, 2020].
166. Premier’s Office, Western Australia (2020) COVID-19 response: Temporary changes to takeaway alcohol. Gov West Aust Media Statements. Available at: https://www.mediastatements.wa.gov.au/Pages/McGowan/2020/03/COVID-19-response-Temporary-changes-to-takeaway-alcohol.aspx [Accessed July 12, 2020].
167. Keric D, Stafford J (2020) Alcohol industry arguments for putting profit before health in the midst of a pandemic: The Western Australian experience. Drug Alcohol Rev, dar.13147.
168. Cave T (2020) Pandemic proves opportunity for industry power grab. Bur Investig Journal. Available at: https://www.thebureauinvestigates.com/stories/2020-06-24/coronavirus-pandemic-proves-opportunity-for-industry-power-grab [Accessed July 13, 2020].
169. Heineken (2020) TIGER® beer launches #SUPPORTOURSTREETS initiative in Asia. Heineken Newsroom. Available at: https://www.theheinekencompany.com/newsroom/tiger-beer-launches-supportourstreets-initiative-across-asia/ [Accessed October 12, 2020].
170. Business Wire (2020) 10th Annual Responsib’ALL Day: Pernod Ricard Announces That Its Facilities Have Surpassed Production of 3.5 Million Liters of Pure Alcohol to Produce Over 100 Million 50cl Units of Hand Sanitizer. Bus Wire News. Available at: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20200603005902/en/10th-Annual-Responsib%E2%80%99ALL-Day-Pernod-Ricard-Announces [Accessed September 11, 2020].
171. The IARD Editorial Team (2020) Corporate Social Responsibility activations around the world – The IARD Digest – March 2020 – CORONAVIRUS SPECIAL. Just-Drinks Anal. Available at: https://www.just-drinks.com/analysis/corporate-social-responsibility-activations-around-the-world-the-iard-digest-march-2020-coronavirus-special_id130583.aspx [Accessed September 11, 2020].
172. Porter ME, Kramer MR (2002) The competitive advantage of corporate philanthropy. Harv Bus Rev 80, 56–68, 133.
173. Distilled Spirits Council of the United States (2020) Ohio House Passes Bill Allowing Sunday Spirits Sales Statewide. Distill Spirits Counc U S Media Cent. Available at: https://www.distilledspirits.org/news/ohio-house-passes-bill-allowing-sunday-spirits-sales-statewide/ [Accessed August 27, 2020].
174. Deslatte M (2020) Bar Owners Sue Louisiana Governor Over Virus Restrictions. US News World Rep. Available at: https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/louisiana/articles/2020-07-28/louisiana-suspends-4-bar-permits-says-violated-virus-rules [Accessed September 17, 2020].
175. Maroney P (2020) Center releases new paper addressing Covid-19, recent alcohol de-regulations. Cent Alcohol Policy. Available at: https://www.centerforalcoholpolicy.org/2020/06/09/center-releases-new-essay-addressing-covid-19-recent-alcohol-de-regulations/ [Accessed September 17, 2020].
176. Siddiqui F (2020) Uber Eats is delivering cocktails directly to customers, but isn’t carding or following the rules. Wash Post. Available at: https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2020/04/21/uber-eats-cocktails-coronavirus/ [Accessed September 17, 2020].
177. De Geer A (2020) Debattinlägg – Alkoholmonopolet måste utvecklas. SVL – Sprit Vinleverantörsföreningen. Available at: https://www.svl.se/debattinlagg-alkoholmonopolet-maste-utvecklas/ [Accessed October 12, 2020].
178. Alcohol Beverages Australia (2020) Worst month on record for Australian beer, wine, spirits producers: ABA covid report. Alcohol Beverages Aust. Available at: https://www.alcoholbeveragesaustralia.org.au/worst-month-on-record-for-australian-beer-wine-spirits-producers-aba-covid-report/ [Accessed September 16, 2020].
179. PerthNow (2020) Australian beer tax: calls to scrap August increase in alcohol levy. PerthNow. Available at: https://www.perthnow.com.au/news/australia/australian-beer-tax-calls-to-scrap-august-increase-in-alcohol-levy-c-1147919 [Accessed September 16, 2020].
180. Magnusson D, Kroon GM, Bergenståhl B (2020) Mikrobryggerierna blöder – tillåt direktförsäljning. ATL. Available at: https://www.atl.nu/debatt/mikrobryggerierna-bloder-tillat-direktforsaljning/ [Accessed September 16, 2020].
181. Gangitano A (2020) Coronavirus brings quick changes to state alcohol laws. The Hill. Available at: https://thehill.com/business-a-lobbying/business-a-lobbying/490514-coronavirus-brings-quick-changes-to-state-alcohol [Accessed September 16, 2020].
182. Olle E (2020) COVID should drive excise cuts for beer in 2020-21 federal budget, brewers say. 7NEWS.com.au. Available at: https://7news.com.au/lifestyle/health-wellbeing/covid-should-drive-excise-cuts-for-beer-in-2020-21-federal-budget-brewers-say-c-1350351 [Accessed October 5, 2020].
183. The Canadian Press (2020) Groups call for urgent action to help restaurant industry amid COVID-19. CTV News. Available at: https://www.ctvnews.ca/business/groups-call-for-urgent-action-to-help-restaurant-industry-amid-covid-19-1.5031636 [Accessed September 18, 2020].
184. UK Spirits Alliance (2020) Our campaign #BackBritish. UK Spirits Alliance. Available at: https://spiritsuk.co.uk/back-spirits/ [Accessed September 18, 2020].
185. Miller PG, Kypri K, Chikritzhs TN, Skov SJ, Rubin G (2009) Health experts reject industry-backed funding for alcohol research. Med J Aust 190, 713; discussion 714.
186. Alcohol Beverages Australia (n.d.) Taxation & Pricing. Alcohol Beverages Aust. Available at: https://www.alcoholbeveragesaustralia.org.au/information/taxation-pricing/ [Accessed September 17, 2020].
187. Stockwell T (2017) Minimum unit pricing for alcohol: the most cost-effective of cancer prevention strategies? Expert Rev Anticancer Ther 17, 981–3.
188. Andréasson S, Chikritzhs T, Dangart F, Holder H, Naimi T, Stockwell T (2020) Alcohol, Pregnancy and Infant Health – a Shared Responsibility, Swedish Society of Nursing, SFAM, SAFF, CERA & IOGT-NTO, Stockholm.
189. Andréasson S, Chikritzhs T, Dangart F, Holder H, Naimi T, Stockwell T (2019) Alcohol and Older People: A Survey of Swedish and International Research, Swedish Society of Medicine, Swedish Society of Nursing, CERA & IOGT-NTO, Stockholm.
190. Egerton-Warburton D, Gosbell A, Moore K, Wadsworth A, Richardson D, Fatovich DM (2018) Alcohol-related harm in emergency departments: a prospective, multi-centre study: Alcohol-related harm in EDs. Addiction 113, 623–32.
191. Egerton-Warburton D, Gosbell A, Wadsworth A, Moore K, Richardson DB, Fatovich DM (2016) Perceptions of Australasian emergency department staff of the impact of alcohol-related presentations. Med J Aust 204, 155–155.
192. Thavorncharoensap M, Teerawattananon Y, Yothasamut J, Lertpitakpong C, Chaikledkaew U (2009) The economic impact of alcohol consumption: a systematic review. Subst Abuse Treat Prev Policy 4, 20.
193. Collins DJ, Lapsley HM, University of New South Wales, National Drug Strategy (Australia), Australia, Department of Health and Ageing (2008) The Costs of Tobacco, Alcohol and Illicit Drug Abuse to Australian Society in 2004/05, Dept. of Health and Ageing, Canberra.
194. Bouchery EE, Harwood HJ, Sacks JJ, Simon CJ, Brewer RD (2011) Economic Costs of Excessive Alcohol Consumption in the U.S., 2006. Am J Prev Med 41, 516–24.
195. Nelson TF, Xuan Z, Babor TF, Brewer RD, Chaloupka FJ, Gruenewald PJ, Holder H, Klitzner M, et al (2013) Efficacy and the Strength of Evidence of U.S. Alcohol Control Policies. Am J Prev Med 45, 19–28.
196. Zhao J, Stockwell T, Vallance K, Hobin E (2020) The Effects of Alcohol Warning Labels on Population Alcohol Consumption: An Interrupted Time Series Analysis of Alcohol Sales in Yukon, Canada. J Stud Alcohol Drugs 81, 225–37.
197. Weerasinghe A, Schoueri-Mychasiw N, Vallance K, Stockwell T, Hammond D, McGavock J, Greenfield TK, Paradis C, Hobin E (2020) Improving Knowledge that Alcohol Can Cause Cancer is Associated with Consumer Support for Alcohol Policies: Findings from a Real-World Alcohol Labelling Study. Int J Environ Res Public Health 17, 398.
198. WHO Europe (n.d.) Q&A – How can I drink alcohol safely? World Health Organ Reg Off Eur. Available at: https://www.euro.who.int/en/health-topics/disease-prevention/alcohol-use/data-and-statistics/q-and-a-how-can-i-drink-alcohol-safely [Accessed October 12, 2020].
199. GBD 2016 Alcohol Collaborators (2018) Alcohol use and burden for 195 countries and territories, 1990–2016: a systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2016. The Lancet 392, 1015–35.
200. Andréasson S, Chikritzhs T, Dangardt F, Holder H, Naimi T, Stockwell T (2014) Evidence about health effects of “moderate” alcohol consumption. In: Alcohol and Society, vol 2014, IOGT-NTO & The Swedish Society of Medicine, Stockholm, pp 6–23.
201. Kaplan LM, Nayak MB, Greenfield TK, Karriker-Jaffe KJ (2017) Alcohol’s Harm to Children: Findings from the 2015 United States National Alcohol’s Harm to Others Survey. J Pediatr 184, 186–92.
202. Nayak MB, Patterson D, Wilsnack SC, Karriker-Jaffe KJ, Greenfield TK (2019) Alcohol’s Secondhand Harms in the United States: New Data on Prevalence and Risk Factors. J Stud Alcohol Drugs 80, 273–81.
203. Sacks JJ, Gonzales KR, Bouchery EE, Tomedi LE, Brewer RD (2015) 2010 National and State Costs of Excessive Alcohol Consumption. Am J Prev Med 49, e73–9.
204. Andréasson S, Chikritzhs T, Dangardt F, Holder H, Naimi T, Stockwell T (2015) Second-hand effects of alcohol consumption – can we prevent harm to others? In: Alcohol and Society, vol 2015, IOGT-NTO & The Swedish Society of Medicine, Stockholm, pp 6–53.
205. Blanchette JG, Chaloupka FJ, Naimi TS (2019) The Composition and Magnitude of Alcohol Taxes in States: Do They Cover Alcohol-Related Costs? J Stud Alcohol Drugs 80, 408–14.
206. Ericson L, Magnusson L, Hovstadius B (2017) Societal costs of fetal alcohol syndrome in Sweden. Eur J Health Econ 18, 575–85.
207. Popova S, Lange S, Burd L, Rehm J (2014) Canadian Children and Youth in Care: The Cost of Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder. Child Youth Care Forum 43, 83–96.
208. Wada R, Chaloupka FJ, Powell LM, Jernigan DH (2017) Employment impacts of alcohol taxes. Prev Med 105, S50–5.
209. Connolly K, Bhattacharya A, Lisenkova K, McGregor PG (2019) Can a policy-induced reduction in alcohol consumption improve health outcomes and stimulate the UK economy?: A potential ‘double dividend’. Drug Alcohol Rev 38, 554–60.
210. Bilal B, Saleem F, Fatima SS (2020) Alcohol consumption and obesity: The hidden scare with COVID-19 severity. Med Hypotheses 144, 110272.
211. Tan Y, Li X, Prabhu SD, Brittian KR, Chen Q, Yin X, McClain CJ, Zhou Z, Cai L (2012) Angiotensin II plays a critical role in alcohol-induced cardiac nitrative damage, cell death, remodeling, and cardiomyopathy in a protein kinase C/nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide phosphate oxidase-dependent manner. J Am Coll Cardiol 59, 1477–86.
212. Kaphalia L, Calhoun WJ (2013) Alcoholic lung injury: metabolic, biochemical and immunological aspects. Toxicol Lett 222, 171–9.
213. Kershaw CD, Guidot DM (2008) Alcoholic lung disease. Alcohol Res Health 31, 66–75.